Louisiana Local Accused of Assisting Hamas in October 7 Assault on Israeli Territory, US Authorities Say

Mahmoud Amin Ya'qub al-Muhtadi loads a gun
Mahmoud Amin Ya'qub al-Muhtadi handling a weapon

American federal attorneys have accused a LA resident of taking part in the October 7 attack by Hamas on Israeli soil, as per recently unsealed legal papers.

Mahmoud Amin Ya'qub al-Muhtadi, 33, reportedly armed him and became part of a paramilitary unit that engaged alongside Hamas in the 2023 attack that claimed the lives of 1,195 Israelis, sparking 24 months of fighting that killed thousands more.

Twelve months following the incident, he supposedly travelled to the US on a fraudulent visa and became a long-term resident.

Mr al-Muhtadi was charged with providing, trying to furnish or plotting to deliver material support to a designated terror group and the deception and misuse of a visa or additional papers.

Reported Role with Armed Faction

Mr al-Muhtadi was reportedly an operative of the NRB, the armed branch of the DFLP, according to the complaint brought by the FBI.

He is accused of organizing a "unit of armed fighters" to cross into Israeli territory upon hearing about the attack and asked one individual to "carry the rifles", legal papers show.

Mr al-Muhtadi sent messages asking other persons to bring a protective gear for a different individual and ammunition, authorities allege.

Hours following the 7 October assault began, his mobile device connected to a signal tower near the kibbutz, the sight of a deadly event, the records said.

Judicial Process and Response

The legal document said that Mr al-Muhtadi rejected ever having been involved in acts of terror on his American immigration form.

Upon arriving to the United States, he resided in a few of places before landing in the Louisiana city, where he was employed in a nearby restaurant.

He was taken into custody on Thursday, the DOJ said.

During a hearing in LA on the following day, he was asked if he understood the charges against him, an interpreter translated his answer as "yes, but there are a lot of things stated in this document that are so false, I'm innocent", as reported by reports.

The documents do not accuse Mr al-Muhtadi of specific offenses or homicides. Federal attorneys have previously charged high-ranking individuals of the group with the fatalities of US citizens on October 7.

Nicole Robertson
Nicole Robertson

A seasoned gaming analyst with over a decade of experience in casino reviews and strategy development.